Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural” or un-paid (“organic”) search results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search and industry-specific vertical search engines.
You can make your website SEO friendly in 2 ways, by code (HTML) which is done 1st time and Content which is a never ending task.
- Filling the Title Tag for every page
- Adding the meta tags, some of those are also useful for social media: description, keywords, og:image, og:description, og:title
- Add title and alt to every img tag
- Add title to every link <a> specially internal links which are very important for SEO
- Use <h1> <h2> .. for headlines and subheadlines
- Make Friendly URL (ex: http://logicum.co/how-to-make-your-website-seo-friendly instead of http://logicum.co/?p=486 )
- Sitemap.xml this will help the search engines know more about all the pages you have, you can check this website to know how to make a sitemap http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html, keep in mind this sitemap should stay updated all the time and you should submit it to all the major search engines, example google and bing
- Add robot.txt to you root directory to let search engines access your website
- User-agent: *
- Disallow: /
- The “User-agent: *” means this section applies to all robots. The “Disallow: /” tells the robot that it should not visit any pages on the site.
The below points is an never ending process you should always update and maintain them to keep your website on top of the SEO, remember everyone is working to get there and they might replace your link
- Content, content, and content this is the most important part of any website, the more genuine and unique the content is the better SEO you get. Of course all the HTML steps mentioned above should match the content available on the website for better results
- Back-links: are links to your website from outside sources, they play an important part in the SEO, but don’t go dropping a link for your website anywhere, the topics should match and the reputation of the website matter too.
- Links from directories,being listed in DMOZ Directory and similar directories is a great boost for your ranking but having tons of links from PR0 directories is useless or even harmful